Sunday, December 4, 2011

How do I clear financial information out of my Hard Drive?

I have certain financial information on my Hard Drive. It was delegated to the recycling bin but now I find that it is still in the computer and if I sell it I would like to erase all traces of it. How do I go about it without putting it in the shop? (or can I)|||blow it up|||Hi. There are free programs, such as "Sure Delete" that will make it VERY difficult to retrieve data. : http://www.webmasterfree.com/suredelete.鈥?/a>|||This site has a step by step manual that will show you how to do just what you want. Simply ask for it and they will send it to you electronically. If you have any trouble they will assist you at no charge.|||The only true way to completely remove sensitive data is with a "Wipe." Most programs that do this are not free, but some have a trial period that would be plenty suitable for this purpose. The one I prefer to use is called BCWipe.


http://www.jetico.com/bcwipe3.htm


No wipe operation is "fast," so be prepared to wait.





Here are some steps to make sure the financial data is gone:





1) Delete the data normally. I recommend holding the Shuft key when pressing the DEL key, as this bypasses the Recycle Bin.





2) Run Defrag. This will align all the data that Windows "sees" and leave the "blank" areas as close together as possible. This step can be skipped, but a defrag is always a good idea anyway.





3) Use the wipe software to wipe all free space. This WILL take a while.





A faster method would be to install BCWipe or whatever wipe software you want to use before deleting the actual data. I know BCWipe has a "Delete with Wipe" option. This can still take a while though.|||There is a free disk wipe utility I have found that seems to work quite well:


http://dban.sourceforge.net/


You can put it either on a CD, or a floppy disk once downloaded, then boot with the media in, and it pretty much does the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment